Gas Safety Week: Fighting for a Gas Safe nation
North East Lincolnshire Council, in partnership with ENGIE, are proud to be supporting Gas Safety Week 2016, taking place between 19 to 25 September.
Gas Safety Week hopes to raise awareness of gas safety and highlight the importance of taking care of your gas appliances.
Thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning every year, and this is usually relating to gas appliances that have been poorly maintained.
According to Gas Safe Register, 1 in 5 homes inspected in the East of England were found to have housed unsafe gas appliances.
By taking care of your gas appliances properly you are taking care of your home and your loved ones. Follow these few simple checks to keep you and your family safe.
• Check your gas appliances every year. Gas appliances should be safety checked once a year and serviced regularly by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Tenants – make sure your landlord arranges this. Set a reminder so you don’t forget at www.staygassafe.co.uk.
• Check your engineer is Gas Safe registered. You can find and check an engineer at www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500.
• Check your engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card. Make sure they are qualified for the work you need doing. You can find this information on the back of the card.
• Check for warning signs your appliances aren’t working correctly e.g. lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.
• Know the six signs of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.
• Have an audible carbon monoxide alarm. This will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home.
Councillor Jane Hyldon-King, portfolio holder for health & wellbeing, said: “Poorly maintained gas appliances are a silent killer.
“It’s important that people are aware of the dangers of Carbon Monoxide, and that they ensure their appliances are well maintained.
“The Council is teaming up with our partner organisations and community groups to spread the word around gas-safety week. If anyone requires any information about gas safety, contact the home energy team on 01472 324782.”
For gas safety advice or to find and check an engineer visit the Gas Safe Register website at www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk. Alternatively call the free helpline on 0800 408 5500.
If you require any further advice regarding heating and insulation within your home, please contact North East Lincolnshire Council, Home Energy on 01472 324782.